Today we’ve added 6 new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 for St. Thomas Aquinas in Bridgewater. This update adds 709 pages and over 28,000 names to search.
Father Roche, when he was the pastor of Abington, would come regularly to offer Mass to the Catholics in Bridgewater in the homes of local residents. In 1858 he started the construction of the church. The parish was named after St. Thomas Aquinas (patron of Catholic schools, colleges, and universities) because of the Normal School nearby as well as the fact that Fr. Roche was a Dominican like St. Thomas. Bridgewater was instituted as an independent parish in the middle of 1863 and Rev. Lawrence S. McMahon was appointed the first pastor. The church is located on 103 Center Street.
These are the new volumes for St. Thomas Aquinas
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Baptisms 1865-1881
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Baptisms 1882-1905
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Baptisms and Marriages 1853-1856
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Confirmations 1885-1922
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Confirmations 1885-1940
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Bridgewater) Marriages 1863-1908
This update is made possible by the efforts of our volunteer Kayla Hinrichsen . If you are interested in helping this project, please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.