Archive For The “Uncategorized” Category

The NEHG Register Volume 179 Now Available

By |

The NEHG Register Fall 2019 issue cover

We have just posted a new volume to The New England Historical and Genealogical Register database. This update adds volume 179; which contains the 2019 Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall issues. This adds 430 pages and 11,000 searchable names to the database.

Published quarterly since 1847, The New England Historical and Genealogical Register is the flagship journal of American genealogy and the oldest journal in the field. The Register has featured articles on a wide variety of topics since its inception, including vital records, church records, tax records, land and probate records, cemetery transcriptions, obituaries, and historical essays. Authoritative compiled genealogies have been the centerpiece of the Register for more than 150 years. Thousands of New England families have been treated in the pages of the journal and many more are referenced in incidental ways throughout. These articles may range from short pieces correcting errors in print or solving unusual problems to larger treatments that reveal family origins or present multiple generations of a family.

The indexing for these records includes full names, Publication year (not the year of the record), and article titles and authors.

This update is made possible by the efforts of our volunteer David Anderson. If you have some time and would like to get involved in the database digitization and indexing process please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

The entire run of The New England Historical and Genealogical Register is available at the NEHGS Boston research library, call number F1.N56.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership

Read more »

2 new sketches: Western Massachusetts Families in 1790

By |

Postcard from Pittsfield, MA (Scan by NYPL / Public domain)

Today we’re announcing two new sketches in Western Massachusetts Families in 1790.  These new sketches focus on Dan Caldwell and Dan Caldwell, Jr., both of Pittsfield.

This study project focuses on individual enumerated in the 1790 census in historic Berkshire and Hampshire counties, also including modern Franklin and Hampden counties.  Sketches for this project are submitted to editor Helen Schatvet Ullmann, CG, FASG by NEHGS members and other interested researchers.  If you are interested in submitting a sketch for Volume 5, please review our project home page.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these updates possible.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Seymour, CT Vital Records Final Volume Added

By |

Thomas H. Seymour, Governor of Connecticut, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain in the United States.

We have added the fifth and final volume to the database Seymour, CT: Vital Records, 1700-1914. Volume 5 covers the period from 1 Jan 1911 through 31 Dec 1914. This volume adds 37 pages, and over 6,000 searchable names.

This database contains all the records compiled in the five-volume series Vital Statistics of Seymour, Connecticut. These books were published by W.C. Sharpe in Seymour, Connecticut between 1883 and 1923, and are organized by year of record as follows:

  • Volume 1: 1700 – 1882
  • Volume 2: 1883 – 1891
  • Volume 3: 1892 – 1900
  • Volume 4: 1901 – 1910
  • Volume 5: 1911 – 1914

This database has over 380 pages and contains 33,000 searchable names. The record types include birth, baptism, marriages, deaths, and burials.
The town of Seymour is located in New Haven County and was incorporated in 1850. Previously, Seymour was a part of Derby, Connecticut. The town was named for Governor Thomas H. Seymour, who was buried there in the Cedar Hill Cemetery after his death from Typhod Fever in 1868.

This update is made possible by the efforts of our volunteer David Anderson. If you have some time and would like to get involved in the database digitization or indexing processes please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: new searchable records from Marblehead and Ayer

By |

Postcard from Marblehead (Scan by NYPL / Public domain)

Today we’ve added eleven new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from Our Lady Star of the Sea in Marblehead and St. Mary in Ayer. This update adds over 14,200 records and over 56,800 names to search.

Early on, Catholics across northeastern Massachusetts travelled to St. Mary’s in Salem to worship. In 1864, Our Lady Star of the Sea in Marblehead became its own parish. Before Danvers had its own parish, Catholics from Danvers came to Marblehead for church.

Prior to the establishment of St. Mary in Ayer, Catholics in this region worshipped in Fitchburg. St. Mary’s was established in 1858. Before Pepperell became an independent parish, Catholics from Pepperell worshipped at St. Mary’s in Ayer.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis, Kim Bonner, Judy Welna, Matt Murphy, Amelia Devin Freedman, Barbara Macken, Loretta Brown-Aldrich, Michelle Kearns, Stacey-Rae McCue, Arlys LaFehr, Jane Himmel, Kathleen Moineau, Kathy Oberley, Nancy Johnson, Toni Lattimer, Lauren Jefferson, Patty Ryburn, Sarah Collins, Sara Stinson, Eldon Gay, Carolyn Jack, Maureen McCarthy and Katherine Marshall-Mayer for their help making these parishes available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Baptisms, 1865-1870, Grave lots
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Baptisms, 1870-1874
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Baptisms, 1874-1882
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Baptisms, 1881-1907
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Marriages, 1865-1882
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Marriages, 1881-1908
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Marblehead) Marriages, 1908-1920

St. Mary (Ayer) Baptisms, 1856-1866
St. Mary (Ayer) Baptisms, 1867-1902
St. Mary (Ayer) Marriages, 1857-1866
St. Mary (Ayer) Marriages, 1867-1920

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: New searchable records from Holliston and Lawrence

By |

St. Patrick of Lawrence and St. Mary’s of Holliston from 100 Years of Progress, pages 386 and 765

Today we’ve added eight new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Mary in Holliston and St. Patrick in Lawrence. This update adds over 2,300 pages, 23,300 records and over 87,000 new names to search.

St. Mary’s in Holliston because an independent parish in 1870. Before that, most Catholics when to Hopkinton for Mass. Construction started on St. Mary’s church in 1873, and was completed in 1883.

St. Patrick’s in Lawrence was built in the “new city” on the south bank of the Merrimack river to help the growing Catholic population after the Civil War. The church was built to accommodate 1000 people and the first mass was celebrated on Christmas Day in 1869

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online. If you would like to become part of the team working on rewarding genealogical projects, please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

The new volumes are listed below:

  • St. Mary (Holliston) Baptisms, 1870-1920
  • St. Mary (Holliston) Marriages, 1871-1920
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Baptisms, 1872-1908
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Baptisms, 1908-1914
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Baptisms, 1914-1920
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Confirmations, 1894-1916
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Marriages, 1872-1908
  • St. Patrick (Lawrence) Marriages, 1908-1920

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. Patrick (Brockton) now searchable

By |

St. Patrick (CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0))

Today we’ve added six new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Patrick in Brockton. This update adds over 23,700 records and over 93,200 names to search.

Prior to 1856, Catholics in Brockton travelled to Randolph for Mass. In 1856, a priest was assigned to Brockton to build a new parish. St. Patrick’s church was dedicated in 1859.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms and Marriages, 1856-1885
St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms, 1891-1897
St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms, 1897-1903
St. Patrick (Brockton) Confirmations, 1885-1901
St. Patrick (Brockton) Marriage Promises, 1889-1896
St. Patrick (Brockton) Marriages, 1886-1910

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: Sacred Heart (Brockton) now searchable

By |

First page of the Sacred Heart (Brockton) sketch in James S. Sullivan’s One Hundred Years of Progress

Today we’ve added three new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from Sacred Heart in Brockton. This update adds over 2,900 records and over 11,200 names to search.

Sacred Heart in Brockton was the second Catholic church in Brockton; it was the French Canadian parish, established in 1891.

The new volumes are listed below:

Sacred Heart (Brockton) Baptisms, 1891-1907
Sacred Heart (Brockton) Confirmations, 1893, 1898, 1901
Sacred Heart (Brockton) Marriages, 1891-1907

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Updates to New England study projects

By |

Shaker Mill Brook, Becket, MA (MassDOT / Public domain)

Today we’re announcing a variety of new and updated sketches to our three New England study projects: Western Massachusetts Families in 1790, Early New England Families, 1641-1700 and Early Vermont Settlers, 1700-1784.

One new sketch was added to our database Western Massachusetts Families in 1790, highlighting Israel Whitcomb from Becket. 

Helen Ullmann’s lastest book has recently come out: Western Massachusetts Families in 1790, Volume 4 . Learn more about the included sketches!

This study project focuses on individuals enumerated in the 1790 census in historic Berkshire and Hampshire counties, also including modern Franklin and Hampden counties.  Sketches for this project are submitted to editor Helen Schatvet Ullmann, CG, FASG by NEHGS members and other interested researchers.  If you are interested in submitting a sketch for Volume 5, please review our project home page.

We’ve also updated Early New England Families, 1641-1700adding one new sketch featuring Samuel Thatcher of Watertown, married 1645.

Early New England Families, 1641-1700 is written by Alicia Crane Williams. This study project highlights heads of families mentioned in Torrey’s New England Marriages to 1700. Be sure to read Alicia’s most recent Vita Brevis post about this project, “Clustering” Salem.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these updates possible.

We’ve also updated Elkanah Sprague (Hartford)‘s sketch in Early Vermont Settlers, 1700-1784. Scott Andrew Bartley’s study project tracks heads of families who lived in Vermont prior to the Revolutionary War.  His sketches so far have focused on Windham and Windsor counties.

Please note: These databases are available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

New Database: Roll of Arms Registered by NEHGS, 1915-1945

By |

Registration for the coat of arms for Catharine O’Brien issued in 1940 (Vol. 4, p. 294)

We are very happy to announce a new database today; Roll of Arms Registered by NEHGS, 1915-1945.

Founded in 1864, the Committee on Heraldry authenticates, preserves, and records coats of arms borne in the United States and by U.S. citizens living abroad. Published intermittently in the Register between 1928 and 1980, the Committee’s Roll of Arms includes illustrated shields presented for review by the Committee along with a description, associated family name, and name of submitter. Considering that many 17th-century immigrants to the New World bore arms, this is an important volume for anyone with early American ancestry.

This database provides images and an index to all the names the Roll of Arms Registered and Proved by the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Each page includes a beautifully hand-illustrated coat of arms, and documents who received the coat of arms and the applicant to the committee. The data indexed includes residence, birth and spouse information where available. The database contains over 408 pages and 2,700 indexed names.

NEHGS published a book with information about the process and the coats of arms: A roll of arms registered by the Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society : parts 1-10 with additions and corrections and a history of the Committee on Heraldry may be viewed at our research library in Boston, call number CR1217.N4 N47 2013.

This update is made possible by the efforts of our interns: Michael Giannetti and Katie McCarver. If you would like to become part of the team working on rewarding genealogical projects, please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) now searchable

By |

Excerpt from a Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Lawrence, showing Immaculate Conception Church in pink in the upper right corner (Public domain)

Today we’ve added five new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from Immaculate Conception in Lawrence. This update adds over 32,100 records and over 107,900 names to search.

Immaculate Conception was the first church established in Lawrence. Catholics began worshipping there as early as 1846 as workers came to the area to build dams and mills as industry began to sweep this area.

To learn more about the early development of Catholicism in Lawrence, you may want to consult Sketch of Catholicity in Lawrence and vicinity by Katherine O’Keefe (1882), available through our Digital Collections. You may also want to reference One Hundred Years of Progress by James S. Sullivan (1895).

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) Baptisms, 1851-1871
Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) Baptisms, 1871-1887 and Confirmations, 1876-1904
Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) Marriages, 1852-1872
Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) Marriages, 1872-1887
Immaculate Conception (Lawrence) Marriages, 1908-1919

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »