Today we introduced an enhancement to the Browse Databases A-Z page, recategorized some databases to improve searchability.
The Browse Databases A to Z page has been enhanced to dynamically adjust the list of databases as you type. This can speed up the search process for finding a specific database. The user interface has been changed slightly, so that the field for entering your search terms is now above the list of databases, rather than on the left. You can see this in the image above. We hope that you will enjoy this update.
Database Category changes have been made ensure that all the databases in the Journals and Periodicals category have the same approach to indexing and search. Specifically, the records contain first and last name, and the year contains the year of publication. The following eleven databases primarily contain birth, marriage, death records, so they have been moved to the Vital Records category:
- Albany Argus: Records of Deaths and Marriages, 1826-1828
- Boston Recorder and Telegraph: Death reports, 1827-1828
- Boston Recorder and Telegraph: Marriages, 1827-1828
- Christian Intelligencer: Death reports of Reformed Dutch Church, 1830-1871
- Christian Intelligencer: Marriages (Reformed Dutch Ch.), 1830-1871
- New Canaan [CT] Era: Marriages and Deaths in New York State, 1868-1871
- New Hampshire Gazette: Vital Records, 1756-1800
- New Hampshire: Marriage and Death Notices Published in Newspapers, 1848-1856
- Otsego County, NY: Newspaper Records, 1808-1831
- Portsmouth, NH: Abstracts from Newspapers, 1776-1800
- Springfield [MA] Republican: Marriages and Deaths, 1847
As a reminder, the category specific search pages search all databases in that category at once. The blue button on the top right side of the page provides a link to the current list of databases in the category. The search tips provide information on what the best fields are for searching them. For reference, the full list of categories can be found on American Ancestors under the Search menu, They can also be found on the Advanced Search page on the right side of the page.
If you have any additional questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.