Archdiocese of Boston: New searchable records for East Boston & Amesbury

Color Postcard image
Lake Attitash, Amesbury, MA; from a 1911 postcard. POublic Domain courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Today we have added 11 new volumes for the Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920. Today’s additions include St. Lazarus in East Boston and Sacred Heart in Amesbury. This update includes 11 volumes, 1,300 pages, and 30,000 searchable names.

There was a large Italian population in East Boston, and Masses were said at Orient Heights as early as 1892. Soon after, they built the church of St. Lazarus on Leyden Street, and it was dedicated on June 18, 1893.

In early 1903 Archbishop Williams created Sacred Heart Parish in Amesbury so serve the growing French-Canadian population there. The original place of worship was a remodeled Protestant meeting house. Father Joseph H. Cote replaced it with a handsome, Gothic, red-brick church, which as dedicated at Christmas in 1928.

The 11 new volumes in this release are:
• St. Lazarus (East Boston) Baptisms, 1904-1917
• St. Lazarus (East Boston) Baptisms, 1919-1920
• St. Lazarus (East Boston) Confirmations, 1907-1920
• St. Lazarus (East Boston) Interments, 1904-1920
• St. Lazarus (East Boston) Marriages, 1904-1920
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) Baptisms, 1903-1917
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) Baptisms, 1918-1920
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) Confirmations, 1908-1920
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) Deaths, 1907-1920
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) First Communions, 1905-1920
• Sacred Heart (Amesbury) Marriages, 1908-1920

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.