Today we’ve added eight new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Agnes in Arlington and St. Edward in Brockton. This update adds over 16,100 records and over 61,900 names to search.
Prior to the establishment of St. Malachi (or Malachy) in Arlington in 1872, Arlington Catholics had to travel to St. Peter’s in Cambridge. When the parish began, it also included territory in Belmont and Lexington (which later became their own parishes). In 1900, St. Malachi’s was renamed to honor St. Agnes.
Lord, Sexton, and Harrington describe St. Edward’s in Brockton: “At St. Edward’s, Montello (in the northern part of Brockton), the original temporary wooden church was replaced by a new one erected by Fathers Edwin J. Dolan…and Thomas F. Brannan…His Eminence blessed the cornerstone on October 11, 1914” (History of the Archdiocese of Boston in the Various Stages of Its Development 1604-1943, 718).
We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online.
The new volumes are listed below:
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1873-1884
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1884-1894
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1894-1902
St. Agnes (Arlington) Marriages, 1873-1899
St. Agnes (Arlington) Marriages, 1898-1920
St. Edward (Brockton) Baptisms, 1897-1913
St. Edward (Brockton) Confirmations, 1898-1920
St. Edward (Brockton) Marriages 1897-1917
Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.