Author Archive

Archdiocese of Boston: new browsable records from Arlington and Brockton

By |

St. Agnes (Arlington) Image from Google Maps

Today we’ve added eight new volumes to Massachusetts: (Image-Only) Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from St. Agnes (Arlington) and Sacred Heart (Brockton). This update adds over 1,300 new pages to browse.

Prior to the establishment of St. Malachi’s in Arlington, Arlington Catholics had to travel to St. Peter’s in Cambridge. When the parish began, St. Malachi’s also included Belmont and Lexington (which later became their own parishes). Sometime around the 1920s, St. Malachi’s was renamed to honor St. Agnes.

Sacred Heart (Brockton) was the second parish in Brockton, split from St. Patrick’s. The first Mass was said in the new church in 1892. This was the French parish in Brockton.

We’d like to thank the following volunteers for their help scanning these volumes: Bill Wolfendale, Eileen McCarthy, Angela Napolitano, and Ross Weaver.

If you need help navigating this collection, please consult our how-to video.  The new volumes are listed below:

Sacred Heart (Brockton) Baptisms, 1891-1900
Sacred Heart (Brockton) Confirmations, 1893, 1898
Sacred Heart (Brockton) Marriages, 1891-1900

St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1873-1884
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1884-1894
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1894-1900
St. Agnes (Arlington) Marriages, 1873-1899
St. Agnes (Arlington) Marriages, 1898-1900

Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members.  Learn more about becoming a NEHGS guest member (free).

Read more »

4 new sketches in Early New England Families, 1641-1700

By |

Outer Light, Old Saybrook, CT by Tichnor Brothers, Publisher [Public domain]

Today we’ve updated Early New England Families, 1641-1700, adding four new sketches.

The new sketches include:

John Browne, Jr. (m. 1650, 1660)

Thomas Dunk (m. 1668, 1677, 1678)

William Lord (m. 1642, 1664)

Lydia (Buckland)(Brown)(Lord)(Dunk) Post (m. 1660-1683)

The three men featured in these sketches were the first three husbands of Lydia (Buckland)(Brown)(Lord)(Dunk) Post.

Early New England Families, 1641-1700 is written by Alicia Crane Williams. This study project highlights heads of families mentioned in Torrey’s New England Marriages to 1700.  To learn more about the status of this project, you may be interested in Alicia Crane Williams’ latest Vita Brevis post on the subject.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help adding these sketches to our database.

Please note: These databases are available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. Joseph (Pepperell) now searchable

By |

Julius Schiller [Public domain]

Today we’ve added two new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from St. Joseph in Pepperell.
This update adds 1,725 records and 6,845 names to search.

St. Joseph (Pepperell) began when Catholics in the area worshipped in private homes when visiting priests were able to come. It coalesced into a mission of St. Mary (Ayer). In 1885 the church became an independent parish.

The above image comes from Julius Schiller’s 1627 star atlas, Coelum Stellatum Christianum. He tried to replace “pagan” constellations with Christian interpretations of the stars. In this case, Orion becomes St. Joseph.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available on our site.  The new volumes are listed below:

St. Joseph (Pepperell) Baptisms, 1885-1900
St. Joseph (Pepperell) Marriages, 1885-1900

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: 4 new browsable parishes from Amesbury, Brockton and Cambridge

By |

Chain Bridge, Amesbury, MA [Public domain]

Today we’ve added 20 new volumes to Massachusetts: (Image-Only) Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900. These volumes come from St. Edward (Brockton), St. Joseph (Amesbury), St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) and St. Patrick (Brockton). This update adds over 3,700 pages to browse.

We’d like to thank the following volunteers for their help scanning these volumes: Bill Wolfendale, Eileen McCarthy, Angela Napolitano, Ross and Linda Weaver, Francis Alix, and Kim Bonner.

If you need help navigating this collection, please consult our how-to video.  The new volumes are listed below:

St. Edward (Brockton) Baptisms, 1897-1900
St. Edward (Brockton) Confirmations, 1898-1900
St. Edward (Brockton) Marriages, 1897-1900


St. Joseph (Amesbury) Baptisms, 1867-1887
St. Joseph (Amesbury) Baptisms, 1887-1900
St. Joseph (Amesbury) Confirmations, 1867-1894
St. Joseph (Amesbury) Confirmations, 1883-1900
St. Joseph (Amesbury) First Communions, 1895-1900


St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Baptisms, 1867-1878
St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Baptisms, 1878-1896
St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Baptisms, 1897-1900
St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Confirmations, 1868-1884
St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Confirmations, 1885-1900
St. Mary of the Annunciation (Cambridge) Marriages, 1867-1900


St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms and Marriages, 1856-1885
St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms, 1891-1897
St. Patrick (Brockton) Baptisms, 1897-1900
St. Patrick (Brockton) Confirmations, 1885-1900
St. Patrick (Brockton) Marriage Promises, 1889-1896
St. Patrick (Brockton) Marriages, 1886-1900

Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members.  Learn more about becoming a NEHGS guest member (free).

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) now searchable

By |

Hyde Park in 1890 by http://maps.bpl.org [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]

Today we’ve added five new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from Most Precious Blood in Hyde Park. This update adds 9,395 records and 31,403 names to search.

Most Precious Blood was established in 1870 as the Catholic population of Hyde Park grew, although their church building would not be complete until 1885 due to a fire and other delays.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available on our site.  The new volumes are listed below:

Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) Baptisms and Marriages, 1870-1888
Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) Baptisms, 1889-1896
Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) Baptisms, 1896-1900
Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) Confirmations, 1880-1900
Most Precious Blood (Hyde Park) Marriages, 1889-1900

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Three new sketches in Western Massachusetts Families in 1790

By |

by ToddC4176 at en.wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]

Today we’re announcing three new sketches in Western Massachusetts Families in 1790.  These new sketches focus on Alexander Berry from Pelham and Mary Cleveland and Jacob Chamberlin from Dalton.

Alexander Berry lived from 1747-1830 and married Martha “Patty” Smith.  They had five children.  Jacob Chamberlin lived from 1766 to about 1851.  He and his wife, Dorothy Cleveland had nine children.  Mary [Griffon] Cleveland was born in 1743/4 and died in 1812.  She married Ephraim Cleveland and together they had six children.

This study project focuses on individual enumerated in the 1790 census in historic Berkshire and Hampshire counties, also including modern Franklin and Hampden counties.  Sketches for this project are submitted to editor Helen Schatvet Ullmann, CG, FASG by NEHGS members and other interested researchers.  If you are interested in submitting a sketch for Volume 5, please review our project home page.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

New database: Chelsea, MA: Marriages by Rabbi Icik Benkovitz, 1922-1956

By |

The Tobin Bridge connecting Chelsea nad Boston, Tichnor Bros. Inc., Boston, Mass. [Public domain]

Chelsea, MA: Marriages by Rabbi Icik Benkovitz, 1922-1956 is our newest database, presented thanks to the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society.  Rabbi Icik Benkovitz lived in Chelsea, MA from 1822-1963. He was born in Lithuania in 1853.  He served two synagogues, Zemach Zedeck on Everett Avenue and Shaare Zion on Orange Street.  He was 110 when he died, serving actively as a spiritual leader until only a few weeks before his death.  The Benkovitz family donated these records to the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center.

This database contains 306 marriages and 4,076 searchable names.  David Rosen of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston provided the scanned images and the index upon which this collection is based; Susan Posner also contributed work to the index.

This database offers the following indexed fields (where the information was provided):

  • Last name
  • First name
  • Parents’ names
  • Spouse’s name
  • Date
  • Location
  • Age
  • Street address
  • Occupation
  • Marital status
  • Place of birth
  • Parents’ places of birth

While Rabbi Benkovitz was based in Chelsea, some of the marriages took place in nearby towns such as Boston, Brookline, Everett, and Revere.  The “Street address” and “Place of birth” fields bring even further geographic diversity, encompassing brides and grooms from Maine, New York, Vermont, Wisconsin, Michigan, Russia, Lithuania, Romania, Latvia and more.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. John the Evangelist (Canton) now browsable

By |

Map of Canton, 1878 by http://maps.bpl.org [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]

Today we’ve added four new volumes to Massachusetts: (Image-Only) Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from St. John the Evangelist in Canton.  This update adds over 500 new pages to browse.

Early Catholics in Canton were ministered to as part of missions from the Quincy churches or Sts. Peter and Paul in South Boston.  In 1861, Canton became an independent parish of its own, with responsibility for the church in Stoughton as well (Immaculate Conception (Stoughton) would later in turn become an independent parish).

We’d like to thank volunteers Francis Alix, Bill Wolfendale and Eileen McCarthy for their help scanning this parish.

If you need help navigating this collection, please consult our how-to video.  The new volumes are listed below:

St. John the Evangelist (Canton) Baptisms, 1859-1878
St. John the Evangelist (Canton) Baptisms, 1859-1900
St. John the Evangelist (Canton) Confirmations, 1867-1900
St. John the Evangelist (Canton) Marriages, 1861-1900

Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members.  Learn more about becoming a NEHGS guest member (free).

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. Mary Star of the Sea (Beverly) now searchable

By |

View of the Beach at Beverly, Massachusetts, 1860
by John Frederick Kensett [Public domain]

Today we’ve added four new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from St. Mary Star of the Sea in Beverly.  This update adds 5,488 records and 21,265 names to search.

St. Mary Star of the Sea in Beverly began as a mission of Immaculate Conception (Salem).  The church was dedicated in Beverly in 1870, and in 1871 they became their own parish.  St. Mary Star of the Sea in Beverly also ran missions in Manchester and Ipswich, and as the Catholic population grew, a second church was built in Beverly Farms, called St. Margaret.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available on our site.  The new volumes are listed below:

St. Mary Star of the Sea (Beverly) Baptisms, 1871-1895
St. Mary Star of the Sea (Beverly) Baptisms, 1895-1900
St. Mary Star of the Sea (Beverly) Confirmations, 1898-1900
St. Mary Star of the Sea (Beverly) Marriages, 1871-1900

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. Mary (Georgetown) now browsable

By |

Stereoscopic view of Georgetown commons in winter, by New York Public Library [Public domain]

Today we’ve added four new volumes to Massachusetts: (Image-Only) Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1900 from St. Mary in Georgetown.

St. Mary (Georgetown) began as a mission of Haverhill.  By 1870, the Catholics of Georgetown were able to purchase a church in which to worship.  The priests of this parish also ministered to other towns including West Newbury and Rowley.  St. Patrick’s in Groveland was a mission to this parish, and many of the records for St. Patrick are included in the volumes below.

We’d like to thank volunteers Ross Weaver and Eileen McCarthy for their help scanning this parish.

If you need help navigating this collection, please consult our how-to video.  The new volumes are listed below:

St. Mary (Georgetown) Baptisms and Marriages, 1874-1891
St. Mary (Georgetown) Baptisms and Marriages, 1874-1891 (copy)
St. Mary (Georgetown) Baptisms and Marriages, 1891-1898
St. Mary (Georgetown) Baptisms, Marriages and Confirmations, 1898-1900

Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members.  Learn more about becoming a NEHGS guest member (free).

Read more »