Today we have added 10 new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920. Today’s additions include the parishes of St. Casimir in Brockton, St. Brigid in Lexington, and Our Lady of Czestochowa in South Boston. This update includes over 1,350 pages, and over 66,000 searchable names.
St. Casimir Catholic Church dated back to 1898, a parish established by Lithuanian immigrants. The church was originally named St. Rocco, and it was the founding home of the national Knights of Lithuania which was organized in 1913. The building is between Ames Street and St. Casimir Avenue in Brockton.
The Lexington parish began as a mission of St. Peter’s in Cambridge, then became a mission of Arlington. In 1865, a building was bought to serve as the first Catholic church in Lexington. In 1886 St. Brigid’s became their own parish.
Our Lady of Czestochowa is the Polish parish in Boston, which began in 1893 when a Polish priest, Father John Chmeilinski came to Boston. Initially this congregation worshiped at Holy Trinity, the German parish, before building a church of their own. The parish is named after a prominent icon of the Virgin Mary that hangs in a monastery in Czestochowa, Poland.
We’d like to thank our dedicated team of volunteers for their work on this, including; Loretta Brown-Aldrich, Becki Clarke, Cathy Corricelli, Gail Delfosse, Amelia Devin Freedman, Rosie Gellene, Nancy Johnson, Stacey-Rae McCue, Bruce McKeeman, Erin Nantais, Kathy Oberley, Bob Rainville, Sam Sturgis, Bill Wolfendale, and Joseph Zajac. If you would like to become part of the team working on rewarding genealogical projects, please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The new volumes are listed below:
- St. Casimir (Brockton) Baptisms, 1900-1909
- St. Casimir (Brockton) Deaths, 1900-1920
- St. Casimir (Brockton) Marriages, 1900-1906
- St. Brigid (Lexington) Baptisms, 1886-1910
- St. Brigid (Lexington) Baptisms, 1911-1920
- St. Brigid (Lexington) Confirmations, 1908-1920
- St. Brigid (Lexington) Marriages, 1886-1916
- St. Brigid (Lexington) Marriages, 1916-1920
- Our Lady of Czestochowa (South Boston) Baptisms, 1893-1902
- Our Lady of Czestochowa (South Boston) Marriages, 1893-1903
Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.