Today we’ve added five new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Agnes (Arlington), St. James the Apostle (Arlington), St. Joseph (Amesbury), and St. Mary (Ayer). This update adds over 7,000 records and over 27,500 names to search.
Prior to the establishment of St. Malachi (or Malachy) in Arlington in 1872, Arlington Catholics had to travel to St. Peter’s in Cambridge. When the parish began, it also included territory in Belmont and Lexington (which later became their own parishes). In 1900, St. Malachi’s was renamed to honor St. Agnes.
As more Catholics moved into Arlington, St. James the Apostle was established in 1914 to serve people in the Arlington Heights neighborhood.
The first iteration of St. Joseph’s church in Amesbury was dedicated in 1866. Ten years later, the church was already ready to expand, and a second, new church was dedicated in 1876. Many French Canadians attended this parish.
Prior to the establishment of St. Mary in Ayer, Catholics in this region worshipped in Fitchburg. St. Mary’s was established in 1858. Before Pepperell became an independent parish, Catholics from Pepperell worshipped at St. Mary’s in Ayer.
We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this parish available online.
The new volumes are listed below:
St. Agnes (Arlington) Baptisms, 1902-1912
St. James the Apostle (Arlington) Baptisms, 1914-1920
St. Joseph (Amesbury) Baptisms, 1901-1920
St. Mary (Ayer) Baptisms, 1902-1909
St. Mary (Ayer) Baptisms, 1914-1920
Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.