Archive For The “Uncategorized” Category

Rhode Island Historical Cemeteries Database Updated

By |

Gravestone of Nathaniel G. Carpenter from Swan Point Cemetery in Providence (41°51’10.37″N 71°22’58.8″W).

We are very happy to have expanded the content in the Rhode Island: Historical Cemeteries, 1647-2000 database. In this update we have added gravestone images for over 8,000 people that did not have them before. In addition, we have added over 10,500 new records and searchable names to the database.

This update was made possible by support from John Sterling and the transcriptions and images produced by the volunteers of Rhode Island Historical Cemeteries Transcription Project who work in cemeteries across Rhode Island.

This database is organized into 42 volumes based on the city or town of the cemetery and provides information for 460,000 people and over 932,000 searchable names. The efforts to capture images of the gravestones is not complete; approximately 25% of the records have an image to go with them. For the remainder, there is a placeholder noting that the image is not available and that you can see the birth and death details on the transcript page.

For most of the cemeteries, there GPS coordinates displayed on the transcript. This can be copied and pasted into a web site such as Google Maps to see where the cemetery is located.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: Our Lady of Pity (Cambridge) now searchable

By |

The Reservoir Church in North Cambridge, formerly Our Lady of Pity, image by Beyond My Ken [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]

Today we’ve added three new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from Our Lady of Pity in Cambridge. This update adds over 5,000 records and over 19,800 names to search.

Also known as Notre Dame de Pitie, Our Lady of Pity was the French parish in North Cambridge, established in 1892. Prior to the establishment of this parish, French-Canadians living in Cambridge may have attended Mass at other churches in Cambridge or traveled all the way to Our Lady of Victories in Boston.

We’d like to thank Debbie Lansing, Bob Anderson, Julie Roffo, Shaune-Marie Berg, Kathy Oberley and Becki Clarke for their help making this parish available on our site.

The new volumes are listed below:

Our Lady of Pity (Cambridge) Baptisms, 1892-1908
Our Lady of Pity (Cambridge) Confirmations, 1899-1919
Our Lady of Pity (Cambridge) Marriages, 1892-1908

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

The Maine Genealogist Volume 36 Available

By |

York Harbor, Coast of Maine, 1877, by Martin Johnson Heade. Image of painting courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, and Wikimedia Commons. This is in the public domain in the United States.

We are very happy to add volume 36 for the year 2014 to The Maine Genealogist database. This update adds over 230 pages and 4,500 searchable names.

Published since 1977, The Maine Genealogist is the quarterly journal of Maine Genealogical Society, founded in 1976. Beginning as a newsletter for the society, the publication evolved into The Maine Seine, published until 1990. The title was changed to The Maine Genealogist in 1991, and each issue, now 48 pages, contains scholarly articles on Maine families, emphasizing the solving of long-standing problems and primary source documentation.

The indexing for these records includes full names, Publication year (not the year of the record), and article titles and authors.

This update is made possible by the efforts of our volunteer David Anderson. If you have some time and would like to get involved in the database digitization and indexing process please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

The entire run of The Maine Genealogist is available at the NEHGS Boston research library, call number F16 .M345.

Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members.

Read more »

Essex Genealogist Volume 34 (2014) Now Available

By |

Geological map of Essex County, Massachusetts, Author: Sears, John Henry. Publisher: Essex Institute Date: 1893. Wikimedia.org under the Creative Commons 2.0 Generic License in 2008.

We are very happy to have added Volume 34, covering the year 2014, to the genealogical journal The Essex Genealogist database. This update contains over 250 pages and 2,100 searchable names.

The leading publication for genealogical research in Essex County, Massachusetts, this quarterly journal has been published since 1981 by The Essex Society of Genealogists (founded in 1975). Within the pages of this journal are selections of cemetery transcriptions, bible records, vital and church records relating to families from Essex County, Massachusetts. The Essex Genealogist has had published numerous Ahnentafel’s (Ancestor Tables) of the ancestry of their members, as well as verbatim transcriptions of lectures over the years. This journal continues to serve those researching Essex County families with valuable resources now entering nearly four decades in print.

The indexing for these records includes full names, Publication year (not the year of the record), and article titles and authors.

This update is made possible by the efforts of our volunteer David Anderson. If you have some time and would like to get involved in the database digitization and indexing process please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org.

The entire run of The Essex Genealogist is available at the NEHGS Boston research library, call number F72.E7 E62.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Early Vermont Settlers, 1700-1784: New sketches from Strafford

By |

Vermont, November 2019

Today we’re announcing four new sketches in Early Vermont Settlers, 1700-1784.  These sketches feature heads of families from Strafford, Vermont. 

Scott Andrew Bartley’s study project tracks heads of families who lived in Vermont prior to the Revolutionary War.  His sketches so far have focused on Windham and Windsor counties.

The new sketches are listed below:
Pennock, William (Strafford)
Smith, Frederick (Strafford)
Thomas, Peter (Strafford)
West, Daniel (Strafford)

Two sketches were updated: Parish, Ezekiel (Strafford) and Pennock, James (Strafford).

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: new searchable records from Dedham

By |

1851 map of Dedham, http://maps.bpl.org [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)]

Today we’ve added eight new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Mary in Dedham. This update adds over 11,700 records and over 48,100 names to search.

St. Mary (Dedham) was established as its own parish in 1866.  It had previously been a mission of St. Joseph in Roxbury since 1846.  The mission volumes for this parish also include records for St. Raphael (East Dedham) and St. Theresa of Avila (West Roxbury).

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

St. Mary (Dedham) Baptisms, 1866-1876
St. Mary (Dedham) Baptisms, 1877-1880 (Mission)
St. Mary (Dedham) Baptisms, 1877-1885
St. Mary (Dedham) Baptisms, 1885-1904
St. Mary (Dedham) Baptisms, 1900-1909
St. Mary (Dedham) Marriages, 1866-1876
St. Mary (Dedham) Marriages, 1877-1879 (Mission)
St. Mary (Dedham) Marriages, 1877-1908

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Western Massachusetts Families in 1790: 3 new sketches

By |

An image from Francis Henry Underwood’s Quabbin; the story of a small town with outlooks upon Puritan life. The town of Quabbin became the town of Greenwich before it was swallowed by the Quabbin Reservoir.

Today we’re announcing three new sketches in Western Massachusetts Families in 1790 featuring Joshua Crosby (Greenwich), Elijah Smith (Bethlehem) and Benjamin Kelton (Leyden).

This study project focuses on individuals enumerated in the 1790 census in historic Berkshire and Hampshire counties, also including modern Franklin and Hampden counties.  Sketches for this project are submitted to editor Helen Schatvet Ullmann, CG, FASG by NEHGS members and other interested researchers.  If you are interested in submitting a sketch for Volume 5, please review our project home page.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making this update possible.

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: New searchable records from St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton)

By |

1888 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing St. John the Evangelist (blue building, bottom center), https://www.loc.gov/item/sanborn03752_001/ [Public domain]

Today we’ve added eight new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. John the Evangelist in Hopkinton. This update adds over 14,600 records and over 49,700 names to search.

Hopkinton’s Catholics initially were served by the priests of Milford. St. Mary’s in Milford is now part of the Diocese of Worcester. It is worth consulting 100 Years of Progress by James S. Sullivan for his explanation of the changing parish boundaries in the western end of the Archdiocese in the late 1800s–according to Sullivan, the Milford priests were initially responsible for Catholics of at least ten different towns. As the population grew, these towns gradually split off into individual parishes. In the early 1850s, the first Catholic church was built in Hopkinton, initially called St. Malachi’s. In 1878, the first Mass was celebrated in the building that would be come St. John the Evangelist Church.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Baptisms and Marriages, 1851-1866
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Baptisms and Marriages, 1866-1871
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Baptisms, 1870-1881
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Baptisms, 1881-1908
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Confirmations, 1867-1882
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) First Communions and Confirmations, 1870-1881
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Marriages, 1870-1881
St. John the Evangelist (Hopkinton) Marriages, 1881-1908

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: new searchable records from St. Stephen (Framingham)

By |

1898 map of South Framingham, Published by O.H. Bailey Co. [Public domain]

Today we’ve added five new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Stephen in Framingham. This update adds over 9,900 records and over 40,000 names to search.

St. Stephen was established as a parish in 1878. St. George in the Saxonville neighborhood of Framingham was the first Catholic church in the area. St. Bridget and St. Stephen (in South Framingham) branched off from St. George.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

St. Stephen (Framingham) Baptisms, 1877-1920
St. Stephen (Framingham) Baptisms, 1887-1901
St. Stephen (Framingham) Confirmations, 1888-1920
St. Stephen (Framingham) Marriages, 1877-1887
St. Stephen (Framingham) Marriages, 1887-1920

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »

Archdiocese of Boston: St. Michael (Lowell) now searchable

By |

An 1898 postcard from Lowell, Detroit Publishing Company, NYPL [Public domain]

Today we’ve added three new volumes to Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Michael in Lowell. This update adds over 12,900 records and over 46,400 names to search.

St. Michael’s parish began in 1883 when Lowell’s churches were mandated to become geographically-arranged parishes. It was initially served by the priests of St. Patrick’s before it became officially independent. This church was built in Lowell’s Centralville neighborhood, across the river from downtown Lowell.

We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help making these parishes available online.

The new volumes are listed below:

St. Michael (Lowell) Baptisms, 1884-1908
St. Michael (Lowell) Confirmations, 1884-1900
St. Michael (Lowell) Marriages, 1884-1908

Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.

Read more »