Today we’ve added six new volumes to Massachusetts: (Image-Only) Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Anthony of Padua in Allston and St. James the Greater in Boston. We’ve also updated four volumes from these two parishes. This update adds over 1,500 new pages to browse.
St. Anthony of Padua in Allston grew from the parish of St. Columbkille in Brighton. The cornerstone was laid in 1894. James S. Sullivan’s One Hundred Years of Progress describes in detail the construction of the church.
St. James the Greater was established in 1854, located in what is now Boston’s Chinatown. In 1854, the neighborhood was largely of Irish descent. The original church on the corner of Albany and Harvard streets was demolished when the land was sold to a railroad company. The new church was built on Harrison Street and still serves the Catholics of Boston today.
We’d like to thank volunteers Diana Beltrao de Macedo, Eileen McCarthy, Angela Napolitano and Ross Weaver for their help making this update possible.
If you need help navigating this collection, please consult our new webinar, Archdiocese of Boston Catholic Records Project: We’re Expanding! The new volumes are listed below:
The following volumes have been updated. Previously they were truncated to only display records from before January 1, 1901. Now they are presented on our site in their complete form:
Please note: This database is available to all NEHGS members. Learn more about becoming a NEHGS guest member (free).