Today we’ve added six new volumes and updated one volume in Massachusetts: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston Records, 1789-1920 from St. Bridget in Framingham and St. Anthony of Padua in Cohasset. This update adds over 3,600 records and over 15,100 names to search.
St. George in Saxonville was the first Catholic church in Framingham, established in 1848. In 1878, St. Bridget’s was formed to serve the Catholics of Ashland and South Framingham. At the time, it was a mission of St. George. When St. Stephen’s began in 1883, St. Bridget’s became a part of that parish. In 1911, St. Bridget became an independent parish.
In 1886, St. Anthony of Padua was established in Cohasset, with the Church of the Nativity in Scituate as a mission. Prior to this date, Catholics in Cohasset were ministered to by priests from Hingham or Weymouth. Many of the early Catholics of Cohasset who helped build this parish were Portuguese.
We’d like to thank Sam Sturgis for his help with this update.
The new volumes are listed below:
St. Bridget (Framingham) Baptisms, 1911-1920
St. Bridget (Framingham) Marriages, 1911-1920
St. Anthony of Padua (Cohasset) Baptisms 1886-1909 (updated volume–records added for 1901-1909)
St. Anthony of Padua (Cohasset) Baptisms, 1909-1920
St. Anthony of Padua (Cohasset) Confirmations, 1918
St. Anthony of Padua (Cohasset) First Communions 1919
St. Anthony of Padua (Cohasset) Marriages, 1886-1920
Please note: This database is available to Individual-level and above NEHGS members only. Consider membership.